1. There was ________knock on ________door. I opened it and found ________small dark man in ________blue overcoat and _______woolen cap. 2. He said he
1. There was ________knock on ________door. I opened it and found ________small dark man in
________blue overcoat and _______woolen cap.
2. He said he was ________employee of ________gas company and had come to read ________meter
(đồng hồ đo).
3. But I had ________suspicion that he wasn’t speaking ________truth because ________meter readers
usually wear ________peaked caps.
4. However, I took him to ________ meter, which is in ________dark corner under ________ stairs.
5. I asked if he had ________ torch (đèn pin); he said he disliked torches and always read ________
meters by ________light of ________match.
6. I remarked that if there was ________leak in ________ gas pipe there might be ________ explosion
while he was reading ________meter.
7. He said, “As _______matter of _______fact, there was _______explosion (vụ nổ) in _______last
house I visited; and Mr. Smith, ________owner of ________house, was burnt in ________face.”
8. “Mr. Smith was holding ________lighted match at ________time of ________explosion.”
9. To prevent ________possible repetition (sự lặp lại) of this accident, I lent him ________torch.
10. He switched on ________torch, read ________meter and wrote ________ reading down on
________back of ________envelope.
11. I said in ________surprise that ________meter readers usually put ________readings down in
12. He said that he had had ________book but that it had been burnt in ________fire in________ Mr.
13. By this time I had come to ________conclusion that he wasn’t ________genuine meter reader; and
________moment he left ________house I rang ________police.