Exercise 4. Read the following passage and decide if the statements are true (T) or false (F) Astronomers and other scientists constantly research and
Exercise 4. Read the following passage and decide if the statements are true (T) or false (F)
Astronomers and other scientists constantly research and explore space. One of the most intriguing questions they hope to answer one day is whether life exists on other planets. Despite a lot of research in outer space, scientists have not yet been able to find evidence of life forms on any other planet other than Earth.
Earth is very hospitable, which makes living here easy. Earth has water, which living creatures need to survive. Earth also has an atmosphere that is neither too hot, nor too cold. Its distance from the sun provides Earth’s inhabitants with the proper amount of warmth, sunlight and energy. Although there may be other planets that have some of Earth’s hospitable features, so far scientists have not found any with all of the features they believe necessary to sustain life. Earth remains one of a kind!
1. Scientists haven’t done much research to find life forms on other planets. T F
2. Earth’s temperate atmosphere makes it accommodative to life forms. T F
3. Earth’s distance from the Sun allows it to receive just enough heat. T F
4. No other planets have any of Earth’s life-sustaining feature. T F
5. Earth is still the only planet with all necessary conditions for life. T F
Exercise 5. Complete the given passage
My cousin, Ron (1.have)………..a dog. It (2.be)………..an intelligent and beautiful pet with a short tail and big brown eyes. Its name (3.be)………..Rex and it (4.like)………..eating meat. Although Rex (5.bark)………..when strange guests visit, it (6.never/ bite)………..anyone; To be honest, Rex (7.be)………..very friendly. It (8.not/ like)………..eating fruits, such as apple, orange, banana, or grape, but it (9.often/ play)………..with them. If the weather (become)………..bad, Rex (10.just/ sleep)………..in his cage all day. Ron (11.play)………..with his dog every day after school. Because there (12.be)………..many people on the road, Ron (13.not/ let)………..the dog run into the road. Ron (14.often/ take)………..Rex to a large field in the park to enjoy the peace there. Rex (15.sometimes/ be)………..naughty, but Ron loves it very much.
Exercise 6. Fill each gap with the correct form of the verb in brackets, using the passive voice.
1. Hundreds of people ________ in last night’s earthquake. (kill)
2. ________ the whole city ________ by the storm? That was terrible! (destroy)
3. Three people ________ here. We need to help them now. (trap)
4. All the victims ________ to an evacuation centre in the early morning. (take)
5. Five people ________ missing after the flood swept through the town last week. (report)
Exercise 7. PHONETICS: Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
1. A. camp B. plan C. plane D. badminton
2. A. sky B. thirsty C. hungry D. finally
3. A. ride B. night C. river D. tired
4. A. window B. flow C. how D. know
5. A. engineer B. geography C. language D. great
Exercise 8. Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
1. A. visual B. thermal C. pollute
2. A. medical B. electric C. botanic
3. A. chemical B. specific C. national
4. A. dramatic B. logical C. continue
5. A. dynamic B. festival C. illegal
Exercise 9. Circle the letter A, B, C or D as your best choice to complete each sentence.
1. My sister is a nurse. She works in the………
A. hospital B. factory C. farm D. School
2. They………….. not buy books.
A. are B. do C. does D. am
3. How much _________do you want?
A. eggs B. tea C. oranges D. apples
4. How __________ do you go jogging? – Once a day.
A. usually B. often C. never D. always
5. There is __________bread on the table.
A. a B. an C. some D. two
6. I like _________. I have a rope.
A. skip B. skips C. skiping D. skipping
7. __________________go to Da Lat?
A. Let’s B. Why don’t we C. What about D. How about
8. I like fruit. I like _____________very much.
A. carrots B. tomatoes C. peas D. apples
in progress 0Tiếng Anh 1 tháng 2021-08-12T02:19:52+00:00 2021-08-12T02:19:52+00:00 2 Answers 4 views 0