These days in business, people have to face many challenging questions when designing and implementing new projects in undeveloped areas of the countr
These days in business, people have to face many challenging questions when designing and implementing new projects in undeveloped areas of the countryside. One issue which has to be faced is whether it is possible to introduce new technology without destroying the local environment.
Economic (1) _____ and environmental conservation are often seen as natural enemies. It is unfortunate that in the past this has often been true, and it has been necessary to choose between (2) _____ the project or protecting the environment. However, by taking environmental considerations (3) _____ at an early stage in a project, companies can significantly reduce any impact on local plants and animals.
For example, in southern Africa, a company called CEL was asked to put up 410 km of a power transmission line without disturbing the rare birds which inhabit that area. The project was carried out with (4) _____ disturbance last summer. What may surprise many business people is the fact that this consideration for local wildlife did not in any way (5) _____ down the project. Indeed, the necessary advance planning (6) _____ with local knowledge and advanced technology, (7) _____ that the project was actually completed ahead of schedule. CEL was contracted to finish the job by October and (8) _____ to do so two months earlier.
CEL is one of those companies which (9) _____ to the principle of environmental conservation. Many other companies have yet to be (10) _____ of the importance of balancing the needs of people with those of the environment. However, it may be the only realistic way forward.
1. A. development B. progression C. rise D. increase
2. A. running B. dealing C. controlling D. leading
3. A. deeply B. gravely C. seriously D. severely
4. A. bare B. smallest C. least D. minimal
5. A. turn B. slow C. speed D. hold
6. A. tied B. combined C. added D. related
7. A. led B. caused C. resulted D. meant
8. A. managed B. succeeded C. achieved D. fulfilled
9. A. promised B. persuaded C. convicted D. committed
10. A. argued B. convinced C. urged D. impressed